Sunday, September 21, 2008

The Great Debate: RAW vs JPEG

"Should I shoot my images in RAW or JPEG?"

This is a very commonly debated question in the digital photography world. Each one is a digital image format; JPEG is the most common image format, and pretty much all cameras save their images in this format. However, on some higher-end cameras (such as ultra-zooms and DSLRs), the photographer can choose to save images in a "RAW" format. Let's discuss what each of these are and see some pros and cons of using one over the other.

Basically, when you snap the shutter, your camera records light into a series of data that is processed inside. (Check Astropix for an in-depth explanation) There is a lot of data captured; depends on the camera, but somewhere around 6-8 megabytes. A JPEG image file is usually about half this size. So where did all the other stuff go?

When your camera records in JPEG, the computer inside puts all the information together for you, compresses the image, then discards the unnecessary extra junk. Wait...junk? When recording in RAW, your camera keeps all of this "junk". It contains the exposure data, color saturation, sharpness, contrast, and more. With this extra information, you have much more control over your final result. This explains why some prefer RAW images - more control over the final product.

Here are some advantages of using RAW:
  1. Fuller images
  2. More control over final image
  3. More contrast
And some for using JPEG:
  1. Much less time spent processing
  2. Requires much less storage space
  3. Ready to print (RAW images must be processed before printing)
  4. Universal format that can be opened by just about anything

As far as my choice goes, I could go either way. If I don't feel like messing with processing each image, the obvious choice is JPEG. Honestly, that's most of the time. But whenever I want to really impress with an image, I go with RAW. Besides, my camera (Panasonic Lumix FZ8) records a RAW image and a JPEG if I tell it to. Ha!

If you're interested in this subject, check these sites out:

http://digital-photography-school.com/blog/raw-vs-jpeg/
http://www.ics.uci.edu/~eppstein/pix/rawvsjpg/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raw_image_format
http://www.popphoto.com/howto/2196/jpeg-vs-raw-the-advantages-and-disadvantages-explained.html

Have a great day!
-zj